Sunday, October 27, 2013

Homemade Tortillas

Have you ever made tortillas at home? Since I was little my mom made tortillas at home, with the exception of the years we lived in Mexico. After tasting the real tortillas I only buy tortillas if I am extremely lazy. They are so easy to make at home and are much more enjoyable this way. Of course these are not as good as real Mexican tortillas made in Mexico, but they are the best I can get here. 


Here is my mom's recipe: 

4 c. Flour (I like to use half whole wheat half white) 
1c. Warm water
1 tsp. salt 
1 tbsp. oil ( I use olive oil, but any kind of oil works) 

Mix all the ingredients together and form a ball. Make 6 balls out of dough. On a lightly floured surface roll out into thin tortillas. Warm up frying pan to medium heat, using a tiny bit of oil fry each side. 

That's it! Aren't these so simple? They are also much healthier than the store bought ones since you can add whole wheat and control the amount of salt and oil. I highly recommend trying them. They are best served warm as tacos or quesadillas. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Simple Comforts